Friday, April 9, 2010

Are you insane?



Most of us who work outside of the home probably get to work the same way, following the same route everyday. Give or take a few minutes, it probably takes us the same amount of time each day.

Do you get up in the morning, plan to drive to work the exact same way as the day before and guess you can shave about 10 minutes off your time? That sounds a little insane doesn't it? Unless you take a different route, it just doesn't seem possible to shorten the commute.

Albert Einstein's definition of insanity was: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

Are you one of those people who goes to the gym every day and does the same exact workout that you did the day before, week before, maybe for the last few months or even years? Then you step on the scale hoping that you have lost weight, or that your arms will now look shapely, or that you suddenly have a 6 pack?

Sounds like Einstein was on to something huh?

You need to change your training on a regular basis, not only to avoid boredom, but to keep your body from adapting. The human body is a master at adapting to it's environment, and it will make sure to do whatever it needs to keep chugging along, holding on to the same weight, fat and heat that it is accustomed to, in other words, it will fight you all the way to stay the same so unless you keep changing your training, you will never see results.

Changing doesn't mean a complete overhaul, it can be subtle, small changes, the grip of the dumbbells, increased repetitions with smaller weights, less repetitions with heavier weights, just mix it up.

I find that I personally adapt to a lifting routine by the second or third week, so I change my training every four weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I love the photos that you are attaching to each chapter of your blog!

    Tell me, does this philosophy of change apply to dieting as well? That is to say, will the same diet become less effective over time? If so, and we need to change our diet, what does that mean in practical terms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a great deal about this and it is definitely true that your body needs a variety of foods to ensure proper vitamins, minerals and nutrition, so one should not each the same thing day in and day out. In addition, studies have shown that most "diets" fail due to boredom, diets that are so restrictive the individual feels they have no choices or options. My nutritionist stressed that I should eat a variety of vegetables, starches, grains, fruits.

    I have found the best way is to belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) where I receive a delivery of vegetables every week, so I get what I get, and I eat it all. It's always fresh and in season.

    ReplyDelete