Friday, May 21, 2010

Promethean


My Dad sent me an email the other day saying how he is enjoying my blogs. We don't see each other as often as we should, so it is a good glimpse into what I am up to.

In his email he wished me luck in my upcoming competition and he sent this, saying it was a word to describe my commitment to training, I really like this.

Promethean

: of, relating to, or resembling Prometheus, his experiences, or his art; especially : daringly original or creative

The Olympics showcase Promethean performances by athletes who are always pushing the limits of human ability.

As some versions of the story go in Greek mythology, Prometheus (one of the Titan giants) modeled humans from clay and then taught them agriculture and all the arts of civilization.

He also stole fire from the gods and gave it to humans. So inventive was he that anything that bears the stamp of creativity and originality can still be called "Promethean."

Zeus, however, had wanted the human race to perish, so Prometheus' actions were also disobedient. Hence "Promethean" can also mean defiant of authority or limits. As punishment for his disobedience, Zeus chained Prometheus to a rock where an eagle daily tore at his liver.

Thus, any suffering on a grand scale can also be called Promethean — though this sense is not as common as the others.


I researched further about Prometheus and found this:

His liver would grow back each day and the eagle would eat it again. This punishment was to last 30,000 years. About 12 generations later, Heracles passing by on his way to find the apples of the Hesperides as part of the Twelve Labors, freed Prometheus. Once free, Prometheus captured the eagle and ate his liver as revenge for his pain and suffering.

I think he must have suffered horribly, especially since his torture lasted 30,000 years! I am quite fond of the part where he captured that eagle and ate HIS liver! Although many people think I torture myself, I really don't. I may not allow myself all of those wonderful foods that many people indulge in everyday, but I do allow myself treats many times of the year.

Training and treating my body like this makes me feel better, younger, healthier and full of energy. I also really get a kick out of people who look at me and say "You are HOW old?!"

I think this is one of the nicest compliments a Dad could give a daughter, although I am sure many of you think that odd.

Last summer I was visiting my brother in Paris, and we went to the Louvre. I found myself spending a great deal of time staring at all of these amazing sculptures, the humans were works of art, truly physical gods.

No one has ever compared me to a god before.

No comments:

Post a Comment