Monday, May 31, 2010

Turkey Chili


This is a recipe adapted from one that my nutritionist, Kim Porterfield gave me. I love chili, but most chili is fairly loaded with fat and calories. This is healthy and even kids will eat it!







2 pounds ground turkey breast
2 cans chicken broth or 30 ounces water
2 cans chopped ready cut tomatoes, or any flavored cut tomatoes
4 tablespoons chili powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery
4 diced jalapenos (or use canned)

Brown the turkey, break into small pieces. When cooked through add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. If too thin once done, remove lid and simmer until some liquid has evaporated. Remember that you will add beans later so you want some liquid. I like mine fairly liquid, so use less and add more later if you like, cooking is an art, baking is a science!

Add beans prior to serving, warm through.

If pre-making making this for your dinners and lunches, measure into equal amounts (I eat 4 ounces protein at a meal, so I would measure this into 8 equal zip lock bags), then freeze them. When ready to eat, empty contents into a pot, heat through then add your beans (I add 4 ounces beans before lunch and 3 ounces beans for dinner).

Top with hot sauce, fat free sour cream, diced onions, and jalapenos.

Here I am having it with a salad and balsamic vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar, pepper, mustard and splenda) along with a big glass of water.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! What time should I be over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, I made this recipe today! Thanks for posting it, I love it. Since one cannot buy "chili powder" here (of course, I can buy pure chili pepper, but I assume that what this recipe required was one of those mixes which contain cumin, garlic, oregano, etc.) so I made my own, with the above-mentioned ingredients plus a bit of cinnamon, coriander powder, clove, etc. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of this one too. KK can bring some chili powder to Barcelona when she visits you know, but your spices sound just great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I've already got a long list of things for KK to bring to me (even if she doesn't know that yet!), but perhaps one more item wouldn't hurt. But I tell you, I think I did a pretty good job myself, and it was with whatever peppers and spices were just lying around!

    One question though: you said in your post that if you are having this dish for dinner, you add 3 ounces beans -- but I thought you didn't have any starches at all for dinner, only proteins and veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definately have starches for dinner, I reduce them slightly from 4 ounces at the earlier meals to only 3 ounces at dinner. It is my final meal, just before bed where I do not have any starches. That final meal is protein and veggies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, OK: I was confusing "dinner" with "final meal".

    ReplyDelete