Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rice Rice Rice




I love this rice cooker, you can set it for various kinds of rice and it cooks perfectly, every time. I eat copious amounts of brown rice, my favorite is short grain that I buy in a big bag at a huge Japanese market, they have everything there.

I actually just had brown sweet rice for the first time last night, it was great! I enjoyed the nutty, crunchy texture of the grains.

You may have had sweet rice before, this is the name you usually see on the bag but most people know it as the "sticky" or "glutinous" rice that you eat with Thai food.

According to legend, it was used to make the mortar in the construction of the Great Wall of China, and chemical tests have confirmed that this is true for the city walls of Xian.

Rice doesn't have to be eaten for lunch or dinner, I eat it quite frequently for breakfast. I will take a glass bowl, spray it with cooking spray, add my egg whites (I use one cup of liquid whites), 4 ounces of cooked brown rice and sometimes even throw in a bit of spinach or chopped tomato or cooked mushrooms. Microwave 3 minutes, then stir around to incorporate the liquid uncooked egg, microwave one more minute and you have a "scramble".

This has the required protein from the egg, the carbohydrate from the rice and is delicious! You can top it with reduced sugar ketchup, hot sauce, salsa, fat free sour cream and/ or some reduced fat cheese.

3 comments:

  1. Kristy, I just bought a bag of brown sweet rice, but there were no cooking instructions on the bag. I checked on internet, but all the recipes I found include adding butter! Tell me, if you didn't have a rice cooker, how would you make the sweet brown rice (proportions of rice to water, cooking time, etc.)? Thanks! Once you tell me, I shall make it and then try it out with some egg whites as you suggest here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read many places that you should soak sweet rice overnight before cooking. When i would steam it in the bamboo steamer I did soak it, but I have never cooked it on the stovetop as the directions below esplain, so I think I would try this first:

    I see they say add butter too, I would just leave it out. This is from Lundburg Family Farms

    1. Combine 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, and 1 tbsp butter in a pot with a tight-fitting lid.
    2. Bring to a boil. Stir once. Cover with lid. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 50 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat, let stand in covered pot for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork, salt to taste (optional).

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right, I shall do that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete