Friday, August 20, 2010

Grilled Vegetables


Posted by Picasa
I eat a great deal of vegetables, more than anyone I know. I am always looking for new ways of doing things, after all, "variety is the spice of life" right?

So, I grilled carrots. They turned out really good! David suggested par boiling them ahead of time the next time I do it, and I may or may not. I actually like the somewhat crunchy texture these had. When  you are dieting for a competition, things can get rather boring and texture is always a pleasant surprise.

You really don't have to use oil to grill all of this, and I know most people will use it, it is up to you, and depends on what your goal is. If you just want to be healthy, then go ahead and brush a bit of olive oil on everything before you grill it. Me? I never do, any time of year and I am used to it that way.

I have a couple big heads of radicchio, cut into thick wedges, big green onions, a couple different squash and pimientos de padron (from my garden) which are small peppers meant to be fried in olive oil, salted and eaten as an appetizer, they are a Spanish dish.

And my carrots.

I suppose it's almost like my "clean your fridge out salad" except this is all from my CSA delivery.
I then cut the carrots into chunks, chopped the green onions, roughly chopped the radicchio and left the squash sliced in thick slices.

I put some into small zipper bags and froze it, for those busy days when I will not have time to cook my lunches. The rest I put into the refrigerator, I will eat it all within a couple days.
Th grilling does add a nice flavor, boiled or steamed vegetables can get boring. Give it a try!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment