Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quads with SC


I trained with SC on Saturday, first time since May. I had a great time! It was quads, quads, and more quads.

I got there at 8:30, it was nice to sleep in, of course, I had no choice, he wouldn't meet me any earlier.

The glutes look great so we need to hit quads and hit them hard!
First, something to "jack up my CNS"  (central nervous system). We set up the squat rack, with the bar low, so that I need to dip down slightly, keeping a straight back, bending the knees so I can grab it with an alternate grip.
I will do this 5 times, basically I am bending at the knees 6 inches or so and then straightening my legs while gripping the Olympic bar, and then setting it back down.
We load weights on, I do 5 reps. Rest. We load more weight one, I do 5 reps. We load more weight on. SC says " Do you know how much this is?"
I tell him not to say that to me, my head will get in the way and I won't be able to lift it. I look at the bar, there are three plates on each side, three big wheels. I am lifting 315 pounds of iron.
I do three more sets. I need to rest.
We talk a bit, about what is going on in our lives, I like catching up, I enjoy his company. I like the facility, it's serious business, we are the only ones there. Iron, rubber flooring, dust and chalk, no fancy stuff. And 11 Olympic lifting platforms, a real gym.
Now it's front squats. I will go as heavy and as low as I can. 5 sets of 5 at 135 pounds. Front squats are a lot more difficult than back, and they really make your quads burn.
Next step ups, but not the ones I have ever done before.  These will focus entirely on my quad, of course a bit of the glute gets activated, that cannot be helped, but my quads feel this, it is hard. Slow and steady.
I have an Olympic bar across my shoulders, with only 10 pounds added on each side, believe me that's enough.
I will step onto a high box, it's 18 inches I believe.  I place my left foot on the box and lean over so that all weight is on the left foot and the right toe is barely touching the ground. I will push up onto the left foot, straighten my leg then touch back down with the right; however, big difference form regular box steps, my right foot never touches the ground, only the toe does and only for a second.The weight remains on the working leg the entire time. Time under tension.
The quad is absolutely burning. 10 on the left, then 10 on the right.
If I was doing this on my own I would have stopped, but I can't stop with SC sitting there watching me.
I rest, then two more sets, it takes forever.
It's been an hour and a half, time to stop.
David took this picture on Sunday, my shoulders and arms look good, quads are not sore yet, but they will be on Monday. My traps are sore from hoisting that 315 pounds so many times.
I LOVE this!!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment