Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Curry Peanut Soup


Posted by PicasaSunday afternoon it was rainy and I was in the mood for soup.  I love soup, it can warm the soul and fill the belly.

I cut this recipe out of the December issue of Oxygen magazine because it had something in it I love: Peanut Butter! It also costs $1.12 per serving, pretty darn cheap if you ask me!

I LOVED it!! I had it for meal #4 and will have it for dinner the next day. Of course, I made some changes and I will tell you about that once I write the recipe here.

Keep in mind that the nutritional breakdown is an estimate (from the magazine), because nothing is weighed, it cannot be exact. Unless you are in competition prep mode, there is no need to concern yourself with the fact that this is not exact. And, anyone in prep wouldn't be able to eat this anyway!

Makes 12 servings, ready in 40 minutes

2 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce
1 onion, chopped
2 small sweet potatoes, diced (I peeled mine)
1 large carrot, cut into half moons
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 lb small shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
32 oz low-sodium vegetable broth
1 15 oz can low sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
3 Tbsps natural peanut butter
2 tsps curry powder

Heat 1/2 cup water and soy sauce in a large pot.

Add onion and sweet potatoes, cook 5 minutes over high heat, stir occasionally.

Add carrot, celery and red pepper. Cover and cook 3 minutes, stir occasionally.

Add shrimp and cook until white, 5 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, stock, beans and cilantro.

Blend peanut butter with 1/3 cup water and curry powder, add to soup.

Stir to mix well, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Serve in 1 cup servings.

Calories 140
Fat 3 grams
Sodium 400 mg
Carbohydrate 15 grams
Fiber 3 grams
Sugar 3 grams
Protein 13 grams
Now, I didn't follow this recipe exactly, here is what I did.

I planned on making this and freezing it in single portion servings. I didn't want to freeze the shrimp (as shrimp is always frozen when you buy it anyway, it has just been defrosted).

I made the soup, omitting the shrimp. Then when I was ready to eat some, I added 1 cup of soup to a small pot and added 1/4 pound shrimp. I also want more shrimp than the recipe calls for...I found it to be a little thick, not quite enough broth for me, so in went a little tap water. I just heated it through and it was great.

Now what makes this so much more exciting (for me) is that Cooper tried it before I added the shrimp and liked it very much! David also liked it. Cooper said he would like me to get a nice, tender cut of beef, cook it so it was still pink, and then cut it into chunks. Add this to his soup instead of shrimp and he would be more than willing to have it for dinner, in fact, he said he would enjoy it very much. He liked the peanut taste and the mild curry flavor.

I made their soup with the beef, and it was great! I would eat it like that too.


So, shrimp in mine, beef in theirs and everyone gets a great bowl of soup!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so good!!! I had shrimp last night too. How funny. Hm...should have gotten that curry powder from Trader's yesterday. I'll have to try this one sometime soon. p.s. how long can you keep the soup frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sakura, It was really good indeed and very quick and easy to make. I have been known to keep things in my freezer for way too long, but they always suffer. I would venture to guess that it would be fine for a month or so since it contains hearty veg and not delicate fresh ingredients. The boys ate most of it though! I have enough for two dinners for myself and that's it!

    ReplyDelete