Sunday, December 26, 2010

Harvest


Posted by PicasaOctober harvest in my front yard.

This is one of the wonderful things about California. I was awakened by my husband, the sun was up, time to go pick grapes, ugh...

The wonderful part? See what I am wearing? Tank top and shorts. In October. Nice.

We make wine, and instead of a lovely manicured front lawn for others, I have a wonderful lawn and garden in the back, and grapevines in the front.

We don't have a big front yard, only 50 vines, so "harvest" doesn't take long, as you can see, I have my coffee and it isn't too strenuous.


I guess I could at least brush my hair first....

Here is David with some particularly beautiful clusters, aren't they nice?

David's hobby of wine making is a passion for him, just as weight training is a passion for me.

They are very different though. I think my son phrased it best:

"Dad, your  hobby is a lot easier than Mom's. She has to diet and lift heavy weights all the time, and all you have to do is sit around and drink wine and eat cheese and sausage."

Wine making is a great deal of work. Those folks who think it is glamorous have absolutely no idea. I guess if you inherit a winery and you employ a wine maker and a whole crew, so all you do is reap the rewards, it is glamorous.

For the rest of us, it's hard work.

Until you get to the drinking part, that isn't so rough actually.

I think the toughest part is the fact that our two hobbies couldn't be more polar. If you think about it, there really is no way I can drink wine and get up everyday at 4 am to lift weights, so I end up not drinking very much (meaning, I will go a long time without drinking). Sometimes I go months (when prepping for a competition) and other times it is days. With the holidays upon us, I am not too concerned and have enjoyed myself quite a bit!

I understand that our winemaker (David) seems to believe that the 2010 harvest will be especially good.  The wines are already showing well, with a lushness and spice that will reward us later.

Stop by anytime, the tasting room is always open!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment