Saturday, January 22, 2011

Curried Chicken and Cauliflower Soup


This recipe is from the January issue of Clean Eating magazine. I enjoyed it quite a bit! 

I added more curry than the recipe called for, I seem to like things spicier than the average person.

I am a sucker for coconut milk and will make just about any recipe with that as an ingredient. I have never purchased the full fat version, there is no need to, the lite is just fine. 

Even then, it does have a large number of calories but this uses just a small amount. Not wanting to open a can and then throw everything but a couple tablespoons away, I decided to get an ice cube tray and fill it up with coconut milk! Each cube is 1 tablespoon. I froze them then popped them out and filled up a zip lock bag. I was actually quite surprised at how much flavor just a small amount adds to a dish. I will try this trick with other soups, especially since I have a bag full of frozen coconut cubes!

This serves 6 (makes 8 cups)

Total time is 25 minutes, a real quick dish.

Ingredients

  • 1/6 cup Coconut Milk, Light
  • 12 oz Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
  • 4 cups Cauliflower,raw
  • 1 cup Red Bell Peppers
  • 9 oz Potato
  • 4 cups Chicken Broth-fat Free, Low Sodium
  • 4 tsp Spicy Curry Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 6 green onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
  • Plain fat free Greek yogurt

Directions

In a 4 qt pot heat coconut milk over medium heat, do not let it boil. Add cubed chicken breast and curry powder. Cook for about 6 minutes until lightly golden. Add cauliflower, bell pepper, potato and broth, cook on medium high until it boils. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.

When cauliflower and potatoes are tender, uncover & simmer for 1-3 minutes to thicken slightly. Season with black pepper,

Spoon into soup bowls, top with green onion and cilantro cilantro. Finish with 1/4 c nonfat plain Greek yogurt.

One serving is 1 1/2 cups soup and 1/4 cup yogurt

Calories: 186
Total Fat 4 grams
Saturated Fat 2 grams
Carbs 15 grams
Fiber 3.5 grams
Sugars 3 grams
Protein 24 grams
Sodium 131 mg
Cholesterol 33 mg
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting -- I shall try it once back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of my fav. recipes. i copied it out of the magazine and then lost it at the grocery store. thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe too. I've been looking for it since I lost my copy of the magazine.

    ReplyDelete