Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kristy and The Closer



Who is The Closer? Brian Wilson from the San Francisco Giants. And just what do we have in common? We both have an oblique strain.
His trainers have placed him on injured reserve, I have placed myself there. It happened Tuesday at the gym in the morning, I knew it as soon as I did it, I could feel the “ping”.
Does it hurt? Only when I breathe, drive or sleep (rather lay down I should say). I never sleep through the night, due to the amount of water I drink throughout the day, so I am up and moving about quite a bit. I found that if I take a breath and stabilize like I was going to perform a deadlift, I can shift in bed without too much discomfort.
I woke up Wednesday and went to get dressed. It was shoulder day so I stood naked in front of the bathroom mirror, tried to do a military press with no weight and went back to bed, no way I could  do it without hurting myself further. As soon as my head hit the pillow I fell right back to sleep, obviously needed it.
Some people say “work through the pain”, well I think they are fools. If you have pain it means you have injured yourself! Anyone who participates in a sport regularly is bound to be injured at some point; it just goes with the territory.
I am sure I will be fine in a day or two; Brian Wilson is supposed to be back by April 6 so I should be back before him!
I am thinking maybe I could give Brian a call; we could meet and chat about rehabilitation, maybe “The Machine” would drop by too! You do know who “The Machine” is don’t you? Here is a short video of Brian at home and you will see “The Machine” walk by in the background, apparently it’s his neighbor who drops by all the time.
Remember that injuries go with the territory, it's bound to happen and getting upset won't do you or the injury any good. Take care of it, rest when needed and allow your body to heal.



As I write this, on Wednesday evening, I am already feeling much better, not sure what I can or will do on Thursday, maybe sleep? I won't be running stairs or jump rope, I can tell you that!

Email readers will need to navigate directly to the blog to view this video.





Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about it, Kristy. Get better soon. Make sure you give yourself all the rest necessary. I don't know about the machine, but Brian Wilson's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, Did you look at the video and see The Machine?

    ReplyDelete