Saturday, October 8, 2011

Obligations, Guilt, Pleasure, Frustrations



What the hell am I talking about?!


Life


A typical life as many people know it; a gourmand's dream as other's do; a living hell for a Figure competitor.


I love to cook, I always have and I am good, let me say that. Really, really good. Seriously.


I can taste anything once, and then reproduce it. 


My family knows this, and they miss it, believe me. It makes me feel guilty. When I am done with a competition, I start cooking again, the foods I love, the foods they love. I do it because I feel I am obligated to, I also want to enjoy it but I feel guilty. 


This is not healthy is it? No...a good reason never to start competing...


Tonight, as I write this, it is Friday at 7:45 pm. David and I just enjoyed a great dinner  (Cooper had one bite, he was in and out due to a football game). What did I make?


Take a look at the picture, but it was Lamb chops with black olives.


Doesn't sound too impressive but in reality it was two racks of lamb, cut into loin chops. Marinated in olive oil, garlic, oregano, chile flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, and black olives.


Then quickly seared in olive oil in a very hot skillet, then cooked with the above marinade and some water.


Served with fried fingerlings and sauteed zucchini. 


Oh we had sparkling wine before, and then a nice 2008 Domaine Tempier Bandol with the meal.


As we ate David said "Oh, I am living at Chez Panisse again..."


Shit, I cannot eat like this all the time and maintain my physique.


And I cannot make my family live on chicken breast and asparagus, can I?


Obligations, guilt, pleasure, Frustrations. 


Be prepared to deal with it. Life will get in the way of your competing. Or is it that competing gets in the way of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment