Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Self-Myofascial Release

Posted by Picasa

I stole one of Cooper's lacrosse balls! He has a bag full, and I probably bought them anyway.

Feels so good....

Roy says "stretch and roll". I do, I do. I have my own lacrosse ball in my gym bag and I tote it with me so I can use it. I go to one of the carpeted walls, put the lacrosse ball on one pec and press against it, rolling, moving my body to keep it pressed against the wall.

Then move over to the shoulder, to the rotator cuff, keep rolling and pressing. I have my iPod on, I suppose it  looks a bit odd to see me from behind wriggling against the wall, but I don't care. They expect this type of stuff from Kristy when she is at Courtside!

Not a day goes by when some wise ass male doesn't make a very original remark. I just smile and get back to my rolling.

Give it a try, it really does target the areas that the foam roller cannot reach.

2 comments:

  1. hi kristy, when you are not competing do you keep your body fat down low all the time ? alot of girls look like they've never seen the inside of a gym before when they are not competing and i wonder whats the point? why kill yourself dieting and cardio and all that hard work building muscle just for 1 day? but ive been told its too hard to keep bodyfat low constantly? whats yr bf % ? any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! Well, in the picture above I am 10 pounds heavier than when I competed a month ago (this was just taken this weekend). I am trying to add lean mass so it is intentional, but I am not of the school of thought that you need to get "fat" or should. I do believe that you cannot maintain the competition bodyfat level- I was at 2.5% and it just isn't sustainable, but here I look fine and will normally hover 7 to 10 pounds over, but may go higher now that I am trying to add size. I am a naturally lean person, more so than the average so am usually about 13% at my highest and the average woman is about 21% bodyfat. I also know many competitors who looks pretty sloppy when not competing and I think it is an avarice excuse to eat and just not pay attention. It is hard to stick to a clean diet, but no one is expecting competition levels year round, so getting fat is lazy in my eyes. I also see that those who fluctuate so much don;t feel good about their bodies unless they are near competition levels. They feel fat and out of shape, so beat themselves up mentally and are afraid to show off their bodies. I was just joking with Roy last night that wearing clothes like I do above keeps me on my toes. I cannot get too fat because I am half naked, so I will take one look at myself and get back on the diet if I see I am getting too chubby!

    ReplyDelete