Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Fit Population

Posted by Picasa

Looks like I live in a very fit area! The Atlantic Journal ranked San Jose as the most healthy metropolitan area in the nation.

San Jose has a population of 958,789 people and is the largest city in the Bay Area, located roughly 50 miles south of San Francisco and 390 miles north of Los Angeles. San Jose is the third largest city in California, following Los Angeles and San Diego. It is the 10th largest city in the U.S. 

The warmest month of the year is July with an average maximum temperature of 84.30 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is December with an average minimum temperature of 41.00 degrees Fahrenheit.

San José boasts an average of more than 300 sunny days per year, and has an annual average precipitation of 15.08 Inches. Rainfall is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The wettest month of the year is January with an average rainfall of 3.03 Inches. 

This great weather and location make it a perfect place to be healthy. It is quite easy to enjoy outdoor activities when there are more than 300 sunny days a year!

The rankings were established based on obesity and smokers. San Jose's share of obesity is 19.1% and it's share of smokers is 9.8%. Thank goodness it is a rare occasion to have to deal with a smoker here!

They used the BMI (body mass index) to determine obesity. While I think this can be a great tool, it can also be very, very inaccurate as it doesn't account for muscle.  It can make someone think they are overweight when they may not be.

For instance, take a look at my picture above. I am 5' 3" and weigh 126.5 pounds (yes I have lost a bit more). When I calculate my BMI with their tool, it has me just at the very upper limit of normal weight, almost at overweight! 

ha ha ha ha ha

I am hardly overweight, I just have a lot of muscle!


Then, when I enter my competition weight of 118, it says I am in still in the normal range, although it is near the lower end. When I was at 118 pounds I was at 2.5% bodyfat, that it hardly even near "normal".

Here is the article if you would like to read the whole thing. 

And of course, the BMI calculator if you want to have a good laugh too!


No comments:

Post a Comment