Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Glorious Day Lifting



Here is my new "bigness",  all 130 pounds of it! These pictures were taken Monday afternoon, before I went to lift with Roy. In yesterdays post I was whining about how "big" I was feeling, and I'm over it now!


Sorta


I feel more in control now and that's the biggest help. I find that if I don't feel I can control an issue, then it's a problem for me. I am not talking crowd control, not talking saving the world, I am talking me. Controlling my actions.


I have the wheel again


Oh I am still trying to add mass, and I have done quite a glorious job with that haven't I? LOL! I am now actually back to portion control and I feel I can take care of any back sliding I did. It won't take long, wait and see. Of course, I have been on vacation, and will be again all next week, so the food fest continues, but I know what I need to do. 



Monday and Tuesday were what I call a Glorious Day Lifting, I felt wonderful and you know what? When I feel good I look good! Monday I was sore from sprints, I am sore all the time these days and I think we need to de-load soon, I need a break, at least my body does.


It was "hammies" with Roy, so that meant I would be doing very slow back extensions holding a 14 pound bar over my head, I can feel it in my lower back, glutes, obliques, upper back, my core. Oh it hits the entire posterior chain, I can feel it as I shake near the end of each set. 


Then off to the Glute Ham Raise, the devil's child. I love to hate it, mostly love though. The distance is moved closer, so the knees are resting more toward the middle of the pad, less ability to use leverage this way. I surprised him I think, I hit 10. Then I hit 11, then he said go for 13, I did.


He then said it was too easy and the next time it gets moved closer. He measured it for me, I repeat this on my own later in the week, I need to get it right when he's not there, and I will.


Tuesday when I woke up I felt strong, and I felt better since I now had a plan, I felt like I was on course again. It was chest day, not my favorite but I have two more weeks Roy said.


Dips, I warmed up then found a weight belt and added 15 pounds. Yes, it's not much, but I am doing 5 sets of 10, and I am going all the way down and slow. I am doing them right. I time my rests, 2 1/2 minutes and then I hop back up.


Bench press. Again, I am working on the eccentric move, I warm up then it's 95 pounds. 5 sets of 10, slowly, slowly. I start the stopwatch and rest it on my belly as I lift. I am aiming for a slower set, but this is a hard one for me. I still did better than last week and that is all I can ask for. 


Improvement

Then I get one shoulder exercise because I am so worried about losing size in my shoulders, Roy throws it in to placate me I think. Single arm press. I do 5 sets on each side, 30 pound dumbbell. Concentrate on the eccentric, I am aiming for a minimum of 75 seconds time under tension. One arm is stronger than the other, always.

I pat myself on the back, reminding myself that I am trying to add mass, I am not on a competition diet so I cannot except to be the lean gazelle I am so used to. It's OK, I feel good, I look good.

Bring on Friday for another Glorious Day Lifting (x2).




6 comments:

  1. Kristy - I have a question for you. I have consistently read that, especially as a beginner, you should strive to do a little more each training session. But does that mean more on each exercise every time. For example, I generally do three exercises of 3 to 4 sets for each body part and add one rep to each set for each exercise every week until I can do all three sets at 15 reps after which I add more weight and start over. Is that the right way to be going about it?

    Honestly, I'm going to be getting to the point where I'm going to have to go to a gym, especially for squats. I'm going to get to the point soon where I won't be able to lift the bar over my shoulders and will need to use a squat rack/cage to continue. Trouble is--and I can't believe I'm admitting this for the world to see--I'm terrified of lifting in a gym. I'm such a peanut, and what I lift is so pitiful compared to most people that, so far, I just can't get myself to go. How did you get started? Did you hire a trainer right off the bat?

    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heu Phil! In my opinion you are on the right track; however, you should add weight not reps if you are trying to add some muscle, lean mass, and get some shape. Roy adds weight each week, some things it's just 2.5 micro weights that are magnetic, but otherwise it's at least a 2.5 pound plate. And I do the same reps.

      So try doing weight each session, then you should remain at the same reps and after 4 to 6 weeks, change the exercise to something different.

      Keep changing because if you keep doing the same thing, you will look the same way. Studies have pretty much shown that light weights and high reps don;t change a body much. You need to go heavy as you can!

      I see some women lift more than me (not many at this point) and I get very excited, I usually go talk to them when they look like they wouldn't mind. I don;t think anyone looks down on a person who cannot lift a lot of weight. And, if they did, they aren;t a person even worth bothering with, so who cares!

      I did start off with a trainer, he showed me what to do, I hadn't lifted before so I had no experience. I talk about how I stared way back in the beginning of my blog, a couple years back...but I was a runner and had to stop, so weight training is what I decided to do. I met a guy who was training other women and they looked like they enjoyed it, so I asked him if he would train me and he did. We became good friends after that, we still talk and that was back 10 years ago!!

      Delete
    2. Kristy,
      Thanks so much for the help! And btw, the changes you're making look magnificent!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Phil- Oh and I would also suggest that you try 10-12 reps, and vary it a few weeks later with heavier weight and 8-10 reps. I rarely go as high as 15, I will on occasion but not really to build any muscle.

      Delete
  2. Kristy I absolutely LOVE the mass you have put on and am *insanely* jealous of your lifting! I have been rehabbing my neck/back/shoulders after getting hit by a drunk driver about a month ago and watching all that definition and muscle start to slip away is killing me. Still no over the head movements allowed. ARGH!!! Can't wait to start lifting heavy like you! VERY excited for the off season changes going to happen... as soon as I get rehabbed. Thank you for being such an inspiration and keeping it forever and always real! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cori Ann- Thanks so much- you are in great shape so you will mend quickly, just keep a positive attitude! When do you think you might be able to compete again?

      Delete