Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Watermelon, Cucumber & Yellow Tomato Salsa



This was from the Food and Wine section of the San Francisco Chronicle, a great healthy and wonderfully fresh dish. David made it too!


You can find the recipe on my Pinterest board. Just click on the link, it will take you to a lovely picture then click on that to be taken to the actual web page where it appeared. I love Pinterest, it is such a great way to keep track of anything on the Internet.


This dish serves 4-6 (I would say 4). I will explain what we did and then please go to the actual site for the detailed information. 


If using wood skewers you need to soak them for 20 minutes in water so they don't flame up on you. I just pop them in a tall glass and turn them once in a while.


Make a "salsa" with watermelon; yellow tomatoes (you can use red but the contrasting colors are nice); cucumber; white balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. I thought it would be great with some diced up serranos but then I love spicy food. Make it ahead and let it sit a bit.


Thread raw, shelled large shrimp onto the skewers. I usually buy bags of Wild Blue Shrimp from Mexico at Trader Joe's. They are lower in sodium than other frozen shrimp and they are very sweet, I eat a lot of shrimp.


Rub the shrimp with olive oil, salt and pepper. 


Grill them on a BBQ, just until cooked through. We did them 3 minutes a side, I don't like tough, dry shrimp!


Place a skewer on a plate, serve with a side of the wonderful salsa and a salad.


I cannot wait to have this again!


I ate the left over shrimp the following day, cold in a salad, it was stupendous.







No comments:

Post a Comment