Friday, August 10, 2012

VitaMix


I make a smoothie almost everyday, it is my usual post training meal. I use 1 1/2 scoops whey protein, glutamine, BCAA's, creatine and a very small frozen banana (along with ice and water). 

I have cursed my regular blender for ages, it did the job but took forever and made a mess. I researched and decided I needed a Vitamix. It made sense, they are the best and can be used for many other things, but the cost was way too much. I mean $500.00? seriously folks, that's a lot of smoothies!


I looked on Ebay, I looked on Craigslist, nothing. 


Then the auction, remember - the gym in Santa Cruz that closed? I got the VitaMix! Many experts will say the best meal to ingest immediately post training is easily absorbed protein (whey) and fast acting carbs (the banana). I add the other things as these are regular supplements I take pre and post training.


I am struggling with the lid, it certainly seals well. David says "use those muscles!" This is my inaugural smoothie, David said to drink it straight out of the container. "Chug, Chug, Chug, Chug!"


I'm happy, this will make life so much easier. I no longer need to pick little red pieces of plastic out of my drink. Oh, I didn't mention that?  See, the ice and frozen banana kept getting stuck, so I would push them down with my spatula, and it would get stuck in the blade and every week it would look more and more cut up.




This even has a mark with permanent marker from Dave Draper's place! I know just where to fill it up with ice and water now. 


If you ever get a chance to get one of these at an auction, garage sale, estate sale, or you just happen to have an extra $500.00 burning a hole in your pocket, I would highly recommend buying one!

5 comments:

  1. Do u think it is ok to per-blend protein shake & wait about 2 hrs before drinking it?

    Or does it have to b made right before u consume it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denice! Actually that's a great question! Many people believe that NO!!!! You should not mix it until right before consuming as the protein will denature. So...if I am going to have this before I get home this is what I do: Take a look at the second picture- I am dumping a small white container into the blender. I pre-make these a week ahead of time, it has the whey and the BCAA's, glutamine and creatine. Then in the morning I mix up the ice, water, banana and pour it into my shaker and store it in my freezer at work for a while,and move it to the fridge. As soon as I am ready for it, I dump in the white container of protein and shake it. Works great and no worries!

      Delete
    2. That is an excellent idea! I have only ever had plain whey n my shaker, I love ur ideas!!!

      Thanks so much for taking time to answer!! :-)

      Delete